[Rhodes22-list] Off Topic - Questions about foreign travel

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Tue Jan 16 18:14:56 EST 2007

Folks - I beg your indulgence -- and advice.

Please consider this a hail, requesting replies back channel
directly to me at
             mailto:robert at squirrelhaven.com
unless, of course, you think this topic and your reply is of
general interest to the list.

I have a chance to take a National Geographic Explorations
two week cruise from Rome to Venice via Sicily, around the
boot and then up along the Dalmatian coast (Greece,
Montenegro, Bosnia) on a big sailing ship:

Tonnage: 5,000 (22 tons per passenger!)
Length: 439 feet
Beam: 54 feet
Draft: 18.5 feet
Sail area: 56,000 Square feet
Mast height: 197 feet
Number of Crew: 106
Passenger capacity: 227
Masts: 5 Masts, 42 Sails

When all is said and done, it looks as if some $15,000 may
change hands for air fare and accommodations.  As this is a
bit more than pocket change, and I have no experience with
cruises like this (Uncle Sam didn't provide this kind of
travel), I'd appreciate advice from more seasoned travelers.

*  Is vacation insurance (at about 10% of the total package)
   a good idea, and if so, have you any recommendations?

*  What is a reasonable minimum of clothing and gear to pack?
   Formal attire?

*  What is a reasonable figure for daily "walking around
   money", including tips, etc.?

*  What are the "gotchas" that a novice like myself would be
   likely to trip on?

Thanks for any comments you care to contribute.

--
Robert Skinner

If you are feeling charitable, you might copy Ed Kroposki so
he will not feel left out:
             mailto:ekroposki at charter.net