[Rhodes22-list] BVI bareboat

Robert Dobson robertdobson777 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 19 20:33:58 EST 2007

Charles, I did pretty much the same rental with Sunsail with my family and two of my kids friends . I have done it twice in the BVI. Sunsail was excellent both times. I also had problems with the outboard motor on the dingy. It must be something in the water down there. I had a 38 ft cyc . A step up from the Rhodes, but the extra room with 8 people was prefect. It was a lot of responsibility taking family and friend's kids and being the only one able to sail the boat. But at the end of 10 days they were all experts. They could have thrown me overboard and I would have been the only one complaining. Not really, the water is crystal clear and nice and warm. All of them would go back in an instant and my wife would
    reluctantly be the ring leader. She is the timid sailor. I do not " bury the rail" when she is on board.
  For the novice , its the best protect water,ideal conditions ( every day is 89 degrees) ,Good steady winds, that I have ever sailed in.

  Bob
  S/V Kel Lee

Charles Henthorn <rexh at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Ron:
Thanks for your comments. I'll look forward to the next installment.
Rex
P.S. You'll remember you are partially responsible for my being here by offering to give me a ride in your Rhodes last spring but it was still in storage at the time. I got a ride with Bob at Lake Carlyle shortly thereafter, bought a recycled from Stan, trailered it to Indiana on Father's Day, spent the summer and fall on the Rhodes and can't wait to remove the tarp when I return from the BVI's.

Ronald Lipton wrote:
Charles,

I took my family to the BVI about 6 years ago. We charted from
Sunsail. Our
experience was good. The boat was clean and well maintained. The
dingy had
outboard problems but someone motored up from "headquarters" within a
few
hours to replace it.

I went with my wife and two kids (late teens). My wife, who is a
terrible sailor
(she turns green in a puddle), decided I couldn't possibly get it
together to
charter a boat and arrange for travel and lodgings when I suggested it
as
a family spring vacation after the chicago "Strictly Sail" show. After
I had
made the arrangements she had no choice but to come along. She spent
the whole trip
under a heavy combination of scopalomine and dramamine. She was really
very pleasant. The kids kept remarking on how nice she was.

The snorkeling was great. There were nice reefs on Cooper Island and
interesting
diving on the wreck was a blast.

I have to go now - I will try to send more comments later.

Ron