[Rhodes22-list] Rob on southeast coast chartering

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Jan 19 14:49:44 EST 2007

Rob,
  Stan used to say own a Rhodes22 and charter anything bigger.  I
investigated his approach on the Carolina coast.  Last year there was not a
company in the Charleston area that did chartering.  The year before, I
believe that it was in Washington, NC, there was/is a small company that
does chartering.  To start with they required either that you take their
course or if you really felt qualified, then you had to rent their boat and
their instructor for four hours and prove it (they called it challenging the
course) .  It was about $75 less than taking the course.  By the time you
spent the $400-500 you were qualified to rent their boats.  Then if you look
at the map where Washington is, it takes more that a day to sail to real
coast.  Now I think that I saw a company that was going to start chartering
in the Wilmington, NC area this year.  There it would be blue water sailing
after you wind your way out of the ICW channel where they are located.   The
ICW in that area is a narrow ditch with a number of draw bridges.
	I believe in the last couple of years somebody from this list or maybe it
was on another list, took the course off the Florida coast.  At present I do
not remember the name of the school/charter outfit.  Whoever it was that
reported on the course said it was worth it.  It was a multiday course that
included navigation and coastal cruising.  After you took the course, you
could rent their boats.
            I have also inquired about chartering on Lake Champlain and she
was willing to rent me their 30 foot Hunter requiring only about a one hour
cruise around the bay.  She said she just wanted proof that you would be
able to get the boat back to the dock.  See:
http://www.windsofireland.net/rentals.htm
I just noticed that Vermont now requires proof of a boaters course.
Somewhere, I used to have a ASA basic keel boat certificate.  I guess I
should make an effort to find it.
	In summary, you may want to take the course with the charter outfit so that
they are happy with the paperwork.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA