[Rhodes22-list] To Ron Lipton

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Mon Jan 22 19:58:35 EST 2007

Bob ,

  I agree with every thing  Ron has said about the 6 HP.I have the 20"
shaft,and only have trouble with 2.5'-3' chop on Sandusky bay.That is the
biggest waves I've seen with this motor.I have an '86 ,with the old style
motor mount,at dock it barely lifts the prop out of the water. On a port
tack it will cover the prop.I think the new style motor mounts lift the OB a
little higher.I always raise the OB,and tip it up for sailing.
  I chose the 6 HP mostly because I trailer 2 or 3 times a year up to 500mi.
one way. The only  thing I do to the motor is run it out of fuel while still
in the water on the trailer, and raise it up to the top of the slide and tie
off to the port stern cleat.
  I think the 8 or 9.8 HP 2 cylinder motors would be just as quiet and go
just as slow as the 6HP,but should be allot smoother running. The weight is
what put me off the bigger OBs. I wanted to be able to dismount and carry my
OB by myself down 200+feet of dock to my car,without oxygen or ER services.
  Keep in mind,I only lake sail,and mostly smaller lakes.If I sailed Lake
Erie allot or had to deal with tides or current I would go bigger.
  If you decide to go with the 6HP,figure on spending another $60+shipping
on the 4HP prop. I couldn't find anybody to sell me the 6HP with a 4HP prop
on it.

Jerry Lowe