[Rhodes22-list] Bill W and Charleston, SC

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Jan 24 05:29:57 EST 2007

Bill W and Charleston:

Bill said, “What I have been able to find out thus far is that there is a
launch ramp at the City Marina, but the parking is very limited.”  There is
essentially no free parking at City Marina.  A few spaces in front of Ship’s
Store/Office, but those are watched closely.  Adequate space but it is all
controlled by gates and booths.  I think that if you go to the restaurant
they stamp your receipt and you get it free for one hour.

“I also learned that dockage is VERY expensive for transients.”  The city
marina is intended for bigger transients.  The marina by the ‘Yorktown’ is
more of a boater’s and sailboater’s marina, but access is very tight.  It is
gated so I have never just gone in to walk the docks.  There are many
smaller marinas around that might be available, but all at a distance.  Most
do not have internet web sites.  Some are primitive and some are controlled
by gates, that is located at controlled areas.

The attached web site is only a start and not necessarily accurate:
http://www.marina-nfo.com/minfo/us/usst42/usst42ind.htm

Some of the inner marinas are obstructed with draw bridges.  There used to
be a guy from Columbia, SC on this list, Joe Sinnett(?) who was familiar
with Charleston sailing.

Why not just come to Lake Hartwell and race Rummy?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA