[Rhodes22-list] Watermusic sings!

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 17:19:49 EST 2007

HI, all,

The 'baby' is just about ready to come home to
mama....It appears that all the logistical problems
have been surmounted.

She is now back at GBI waiting  to be delivered in the
spring. The engine is a Tohatsu 9.8, and is rigged
with ignition and kill switches in the right coaming
compartment; the gear shift and throttle are mounted
on the pedestal. I only have to lean over the back to
work the choke.

I've attached pictures to show the engine setup & also
one of GBI's modifications.

Difficulty in rigging the engine came from several
areas. I believe the biggest obstacle was the fact
that the throttle & gear cables are stiff and did not
want to accomodate to the conditions presented by the
travel of the lift.

Allowing for the travel of the motor lift necessitated
that the cables have some length to them (he ended up
using 13' cables) and the small amt of clearance from
the front of the engine to the transom & lift left
little room for the cables to reside w/o being bent or
squished. (Again...these problems were unique because
this boat has a wheel.)

I do have to gently hold the lg.cable (throttle & gear
shift) back from the top of the lift when raising the
engine...but that is not difficult.

The other wires you see near the waterline (with the
fuel pump bulb)also needed to be long to allow the
engine to travel. I will have to secure those with a
piece of line to the small cleat to the left of the
lift when the engine is in the lower position.

I'm investigating having the rudder/engine connector
put on...

The other picture shows the pedestal & table, with the
helm seat modification & footrest made by Dido at GBI.
They did glass under the laz cover...but it needs more
reinforcement as the lid still flexes quite a bit if
anyone larger than  I sits in the seat.

The pedestal closeup shows the radio mount on the left
(the antenna cable is on the other side of the
pedestal), the gear & throttle controls on either side
of the compass, compass & depth indicator. There is
aslo a wheel brake on the pedestal.

There is still plenty of room in the cockpit for at
least 20 of my closest friends!

elle

The fish are biting.