[Rhodes22-list] Watermusic sings!

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Fri Jan 26 15:58:56 EST 2007

L.

Rummy brings up an interesting point.

I sail from a stern seat, but mine is on the gunwale.  Normally I sail
from the windward gunwale, but in not infrequent moments of extreme
laziness I just stay in one seat as I tack back and forth.  I never heel
uncontrollably--that is, more or less, the point of sailing.

Stan can show you how to safely control your boat from your seat,
however, make sure that GBI rigs some sort of sheeting system so that
you can control your jib from your seat.  From that position in the
center you probably won't have to cross sheet, but you will want sheets
long enough so that you can cleat them well aft of the winches--always
within arms reach.

Remember that the R-22 sails fastest flat.  If you put out an
appropriate amount of sail you should never heel uncontrollably.  Just
make sure that all of your sail controls are within arms' reach so that
you can release all sails in an instant.

Have we spoken of heaving-to while you have been paying attention?

Because your weight will never be fully on the windward side, you should
put out less sail than you would otherwise.  Once you get the hang of
it, you will know exactly how much to safely put out in any given situation.

Bill Effros