[Rhodes22-list] Watermusic sings!

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 14:37:46 EST 2007

Gee Bill, I would ASS-U-ME that the seat would come with
the famous super cool GBI self-tending Jib (and maybe a
seat belt)?

I hope the traveler/main sheet will be at hand.

It's  the usual way us chicken sailors do it ... one hand
on the tiller, the other on the main sheet :-)

--- Bill Effros <bill at effros.com> wrote:

> L.
>
> Rummy brings up an interesting point.
>
> I sail from a stern seat, but mine is on the gunwale.
> Normally I sail
> from the windward gunwale, but in not infrequent moments
> of extreme
> laziness I just stay in one seat as I tack back and
> forth.  I never heel
> uncontrollably--that is, more or less, the point of
> sailing.
>
> Stan can show you how to safely control your boat from
> your seat,
> however, make sure that GBI rigs some sort of sheeting
> system so that
> you can control your jib from your seat.  From that
> position in the
> center you probably won't have to cross sheet, but you
> will want sheets
> long enough so that you can cleat them well aft of the
> winches--always
> within arms reach.
>
> Remember that the R-22 sails fastest flat.  If you put
> out an
> appropriate amount of sail you should never heel
> uncontrollably.  Just
> make sure that all of your sail controls are within arms'
> reach so that
> you can release all sails in an instant.
>
> Have we spoken of heaving-to while you have been paying
> attention?
>
> Because your weight will never be fully on the windward
> side, you should
> put out less sail than you would otherwise.  Once you get
> the hang of
> it, you will know exactly how much to safely put out in
> any given situation.
>
> Bill Effros
>
> R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
> > Elle,
> > You really are getting a highly modified R22. It looks
> as though General
> > Boats has gone all the way in trying to meet your
> needs. Having sailed my  boat
> > for many years, I know how fast it can go from flat
> sailing to healing
> > uncontrollably. I'm going to caution you that this is
> not a safe setup.(In my
> > opinion) I know this is what you have asked for and GB
> gave you what you  wanted,
> > but I don't like it and I would never, ever sail from
> that stern seat.  This is
> > a 22 foot sailboat and it does not handle like a 30
> footer.
> > I'm sorry that I have to be the one to bring this up,
> but obviously others
> > on the list either don't see the problem or don't want
> to ruin the moment for
> > you.
> >
> > Rummy
> www.rhodes22.org/list

> www.rhodes22.org/list

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

"That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... is freedom."
-- Captain Jack Sparrow