[Rhodes22-list] speaking of solar panels

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 20:52:58 EST 2007

I was under the impression that solar panels worked best
when they are set 90 degrees to the Sun.  With the panels
statically mounted on the Rhodes, are they sufficient at
keeping the batteries charged during a typical weekend
cruise, or are they more for: charging when you leave your
boat tied at a mooring / slip during the week and sail on
the weekend?

I assume the latitude where you sail may affect the
efficiency.

--- elle <watermusic38 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> You know, Ed, you may have a kernel of an idea
> there...remember, this is the first design of this
> type...and all good designs need tweaking....this is
> not in its last iteration....we WILL make it comfy &
> safe...
>
> Actually...one issue was the location of the solar
> panel on the laz lid...if we moved it (which we did
> discuss) then the seat could go back farther  and
> perhaps lowered also, as the sight line to the cabin
> top will be changed.
>
> I believe that that particular solar panel is for the
> battery that runs the motor lift...but as my engine
> has an alternator  and if engine & lift motor are
> wired to that battery in the laz....might that keep
> the battery charged enough for the lift to allow the
> removal of the panel??
>
> Ideas, anyone???
>
> elle

HADZ (a.k.a. joe)

"That's what a ship is, you know. It's not just a keel and hull and a deck and sails. That's what a ship needs. But what a ship is... is freedom."
-- Captain Jack Sparrow