[Rhodes22-list] Watermusic and size and Joe and ....

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 07:29:12 EST 2007

Rummy

I agree 110% that "stuff" happens! Perhaps I was "thinking"
more in terms of an acidental gybe, where YOU set up the
conditions and understand the probability exists, compared
to a sudden knock down during a routine tack (yes I've over
simplfied).

I miss-understood your usage of the term uncontrolled.
Since you sail your boat to the extreme limits, then I'd
expect a higher probability of knock downs, and broaching.
I guess I was thinking "completely unexpected" toss about
the cockpit from a tiny puff, when you wrote
"uncontrolled"; rather than a "somewhat expected" full
cockpit after an aggressive gybe in heavy air.

sorry if I caused any spilled rum :-)

As for ending up under the lee seat - that is the problem
with the Flying Scott!  No their not the same boat, but the
other boats we've rented or used at the club are keel boats
(J80 has a 5.5 ft), Sonar23, J22, & J24.  Paula & I are not
thrilled with the handling of either the Flying Scott is
medium to heavy air.  the J22's boom is a little low for
me, and isn't a very comfortable boat (IMHO).  The Flying
Scott is appears very tippy and will toss the crew about
(also IMHO).

Since our day sailing experience is on boats with deeper
fin keels, and the Rhodes is a shoel draft keel with
centerboard, I was a little concerned that she may not
handle the way we like. To paraphrase Stan, I want to sit
in the cockpit with the tiller in hand and be able to say I
love you.