[Rhodes22-list] Question for Rummy

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 27 09:30:01 EST 2007

Hi, Rummy,

  Thanks for clarifying your concern & I do understand. In fact, as I posted in another email a bit ago, what you described is how I sailed our first boat which had a tiller. (Well...I couldn't reach to prop my feet on the leeward seat...but you can bet I had that mainsheet held tightly in my hand.)

  If things are calm, and I am on a long tack, then sitting is where I'll probably be. If things are 'interesting', the seat will be below & I will move from windward side to windward side while standing, both for ballast & also to be able to see. That is how I sailed our keel boats. It may not work for the R-22..but until I get out there & do it, it's all just specualtion.

  You are always inviting everyone to Lake Hartwell...so now I'm extending an invite for Rummy x2 to come to the Chesapeake & see & give lots of advice. You don't even need to bring rum....;^)

  elle

R22RumRunner at aol.com wrote:
  Elle,
I guess my concern is the height and also the position. I always sail from
the windward side. I hold the tiller in one hand the main sheet in the other.
This way I maintain absolute control at all times. I am able to stretch my
legs for support against the leeward seat. I guess you will have to work
through this and figure out what works best for you. I just don't see a center
positioned seat giving you the absolute control I require.

Rummy