[Rhodes22-list] speaking of solar panels

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Jan 28 20:42:37 EST 2007

Art,

I've been buying single contact LED replacement bulbs that fit into my
existing light fixtures, some red, some white.  Defender has been
selling them for 1/2 what they cost at West Marine.  The white ones are
not quite as bright as incandescents, but plenty bright enough for
reading.  I have always felt the white incandescents were too bright if
you subsequently had to go back on deck and do anything at night.

The red LEDs are perfect.  I just love using them while sailing or
motoring at night.  You can find what you're looking for and still see
where you're going.

I've never had a problem with port and stern lights, they really don't
use all that much electricity, and I'm sticking with "if it ain't broke,
don't fix it".  Replacing them with LEDs means changing the fixtures.

I have always had problems with mast lights.  They work fine whenever
you don't need them.  I have jury rigged a low white mast light that I
can reach if it doesn't work properly at night.  Naturally, it always
works right at night, and it complies with CG regs.

I think it is more important to have a working light10 feet above the
water than a light that's out on top of the mast.   Right now there is
no light on top of my mast.  If they get the kinks out of the LED mast
lights, and drop the price I might put one up there.  For now, I'll
stick with what I've got.

Bill Effros