[Rhodes22-list] Afghanistan

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Wed Jan 31 21:07:57 EST 2007

Bill,

Re Afghanistan,  I share your skepticism but I think the invasion was
justified to put the AQ training camps out of business.  I think it is also  a good
thing to punish host countries that support AQ training camps and that  meant
invading Afghanistan and taking down the Taliban.  The reason for  taking down
the Taliban should not be that they didn't let little girls that  didn't want
to go to school go to school, the reason for taking out the Taliban  is they
hosted a tangible terrorist activity that harmed US citizens.  If  AQ
organized and sponsored 9/11 from those camps, or people from those  camps
participated in any meaningful way, if the Taliban aided - take  'em out, no questions
asked.  JMO.

But that could have been done, and was done, a long time ago.  We  could have
then left.  The last soldier out could have nailed a  message on the main
door of their main mosque - "you do it again, we'll do it  again".

Instead the mission to take out training camps has morphed into "nation
building" - and I understand that neocons are firmly against "nation building"
but that they really want to build a nation; you figure out the difference, they
 haven't.  They want free capital markets in Afghanistan as evidenced by
Starbucks franchises on every corner, and every other air head concept that
floats through jr's fevered brain.  The mission is done, we should be out  and we
should have no responsibility to rebuild Afghanistan whatsoever - they  hit
us, we smacked 'em down.

And of course the Taliban, or whoever, could again host terrorist  activities
from Afghanistan, in which case we could smack 'em down again.   It's a lot
cheaper, cleaner (less lives lost), and easier to smack 'em down when  they get
out of line than it is to occupy and develop a country that doesn't  wasn't
to be occupied or developed.  We see that in the body count every  day, and we
see it periodically in the budget requests.  Afghanistan can  turn into the
same swamp that Iraq is - if we let it.  And of course, in  the best neocon
tradition, we are letting it.

We should have been out of there a long time ago.  JMO.

Dave