[Rhodes22-list] Standard main rigging

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Sun Jul 1 09:54:02 EDT 2007

At 07:07 AM 6/30/2007 -0700, Gary Lockhart wrote:
>I've been doing the best I can but I know I am missing something to
>get the main rigged right so I can go to windward. Attached are
>photos of the main tack on the gooseneck and the outhaul. The tack
>doesn't look right (bolt rope pulled up from boom track). What
>should the attachment be?  On the boom is a  block with  no obvious
>function, what is it?  (The  line attached to  it is too short for
>reefing and placed wrong for outhaul.)  I've gone thru the  archive
>without finding  what I need.  John, I think your boat is similar,
>what does your boom look like?

Got the photos now, so I'll compare to mine a little later.  One
difference I noticed is that your mast slot is fitted with slugs for
attaching the main, rather than sliding the bolt rope into the
slot.  I think this is supposed to make sail hoisting easier, but I
don't think it affects sailing ability.

The block hanging off your boom is probably a boom vang.  The other
end is supposed to attach near the base of the mast.  Its function is
to pull the boom downward when the main is swung out to the
side.  You may have noticed a tendency for the boom to ride up as the
main fills in that position.  The boom vang pulls the boom back down
and controls its vertical movement.  It's also probably only usable
with the poptop down.

Cheers!

John Lock