[Rhodes22-list] Puttin' Away the Sails

Leland LKUHN at cnmc.org
Tue Jul 3 22:29:23 EDT 2007

I've seen improvement in my sail furling techniques and I've always managed
to get the sails in, but I can't help but think that someone has a better
method.  I've checked the archives (thank you Ed) and Stan gave me some
helpful hints, but if anyone has a better method, please let me know.

Single handling.

Mainsail, light winds.  Not much of a problem.  Don't bother with the motor.
Head into the wind.  Raise the boom slightly with the topping lift to
prevent the sail from furling too low.  Push the boom slightly to starboard.
Release the outhaul and pull the furling line nonstop until the sail is in
the mast.  In heavy winds I use the same technique but I use the motor and
tiller lock to keep me pointed into the wind.

Genoa, light winds.  The lighter the wind, the more the problem.  Don't
bother with the motor.  Head into the wind.  My furler turns clockwise.
I've planned on changing it to counter-clockwise so I can furl both sails in
while on a port tack, but it's been a low priority.  Keeping the genoa line
as tight as possible, I pull the furling line about four feet at a time.  If
I try pulling it in nonstop, I'll frequently get the barber shop pole
effect, with the UV cover not completely protecting the sail.  If there's
enough wind to fill the genoa, it's much easier to prevent this effect.  In
heavy winds I use the motor to keep me pointing into the wind so the genoa
is barely luffing.

Any advice is appreciated.

Lee
1986 Rhodes22  At Ease