[Rhodes22-list] History lesson for Independence Day

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 11:15:33 EDT 2007

.

:

Wall  Street Journal: COMMENTARY

'Wonderfully  Spared'
By JOYCE LEE  MALCOLM
July 3,  2007; Page A17
'You and I have been wonderfully spared," Thomas Jefferson  wrote John Adams
in 1812. "Of the signers of the Declaration of  Independence I see now living
not more than half a dozen on your side of  the Potomak, and, on this side,
myself alone." Jefferson and Adams were  not merely signers of the Declaration.
Both sat on the committee that  drafted the document, and Jefferson wrote it.
And while they later became  bitter political opponents, they reconciled in
their last  years.
Adams, the Yankee lawyer, revolutionary, Founding Father  and ex-president,
was 77 in 1812; Jefferson, the Southern aristocrat,  revolutionary, Founder and
ex-president, was 69. Both were mentally acute  but frail. Jefferson spent
three to four hours a day on horseback and  could scarcely walk, Adams walked
three to four miles a day and could  scarcely ride.

John  Trumbull's "Declaration of  Independence"
They would never see each other again. But from a modest  farm in Quincy,
Mass., and a plantation in Virginia they corresponded and  reminisced about the
days when they were "fellow laborers in the same  cause, struggling for what is
most valuable to man, his right of  self-government."
It's easy now, in a nation awash with complaints about what  our Founders did
not do, what imperfect humans they seem to 21st century  eyes, to overlook
how startlingly bold their views and actions were in  their own day and are, in
fact, even today. Who else in 1776 declared, let  alone thought it a
self-evident truth, that all men were created equal,  entitled to inalienable rights,
or to any rights at all? How few declare  these views today or, glibly
declaring them, really intend to treat their  countrymen or others as equal, entitled
to life, liberty and the pursuit  of happiness?
Certainly not America's 20th century enemies, the Nazis and  communists;
certainly not today's Islamic radicals, who consider infidels  unworthy to live
and the faithful bound by an ancient and brutal code of  law. We are fortunate
that the Founders of our nation were enlightened,  generous, jealous of their
rights and those of their countrymen, and  prepared to risk everything to
create a free republic.
Breaking with Britain was a risky and distressing venture;  could the
American colonies go it alone and survive in a world of great  European powers? If
not, what better empire than the British? It took a  year of fighting before the
Continental Congress and the states were  prepared to declare independence.
"We might have been a free and a great  people together," Jefferson sighed.
But if we were angry at British treatment, we were also  lucky that Britain
was our mother country. The British taught us respect  for the rights of
individuals, for limited government, for the rule of law  and how such values could
be realized. "An Englishman is the unfittest  person on earth to argue another
Englishman into slavery," Edmund Burke  insisted, pleading our cause before
Parliament in March,  1775.
Scores of distinguished British officers refused  commissions to fight
against us. Some, who were willing, were reluctant to  press their advantage over
our literally rag-tag army. The British  parliament wrangled day after day over
the fitful progress of the war. And  when it was over and, thanks to French
assistance, we had won, Britain was  careful in negotiating the peace treaty for
fear we would fall under the  influence and control of the French or the
Spanish. We would fight against  Britain again, but over the centuries the common
heritage that connects  our two peoples has brought us together as close
allies.
We were lucky in our generals. Unlike the commanders of  nearly all
revolutionary armies before and since, George Washington  resisted the temptation to
seize power. After England's civil war between  King Charles I and parliament,
Oliver Cromwell, Parliament's leading  general, evicted what remained of
parliament and made himself "Lord  Protector." The great expectations of the French
Revolution ended when  Napoleon Bonaparte staged a coup against the republican
government and  later crowned himself emperor.
Not only do victorious generals have a nasty habit of  taking over, but once
an army becomes entangled in politics it is  extraordinarily difficult to
remove it from public affairs. Numerous  modern countries have tried to control
their armies and  failed.
Washington prevented a coup by his officers; and when the  war was over, he
bid a moving farewell to his men and staff before  appearing before Congress to
resign his commission: "Having now finished  the work assigned to me, I
retire from the great theatre of Action . . .  and take my leave of all the
employments of public life." Then he hurried  off to spend Christmas with Martha and
their family. Although it sounds  sentimental, trite even, it happened that
way.
In their correspondence, Adams wrote Jefferson that the  future would "depend
on the Union" and asked how that Union was to be  preserved. "The Union is
still to me an Object of as much Anxiety as ever  Independence was," he
confided.
He was right to worry. The union has always been difficult,  from the first
fears that the 13 separate states would behave as competing  countries or
bickering groups, through a brutal and painful civil war  whose wounds have yet to
entirely heal, to a vast, modern land whose  residents, taking for granted the
blessings bestowed upon them, are deeply  divided and quick to vilify each
other.
More tragically, some seem to enjoy vilifying America,  everything it has
been and stands for, seeking and finding fatal  shortcomings. Adams and Jefferson
were not blind to those shortcomings.  "We think ourselves possessed or at
least we boast that we are so of  Liberty of conscience on all subjects and of
the right of free inquiry and  private judgment, in all cases and yet," Adams
admitted, "how far are we  from these exalted privileges in fact." Recent
moments of real unity after  9/11, when members of Congress stood together on the
steps of the Capitol  and sang "God Bless America," have been fleeting.
In 1825 Jefferson wrote to congratulate Adams on the  election of his son
John Quincy to the presidency -- an election so close  it was decided in the
House of Representatives. "So deeply are the  principles of order, and of
obedience to law impressed on the minds of our  citizens generally that I am persuaded
there will be as immediate an  acquiescence in the will of the majority,"
Jefferson assured him, "as if  Mr. Adams had been the choice of every man." He
closed: "Nights of rest to  you and days of tranquility are the wishes I tender
you with my  affect[iona]te respects."
On July 4 the following year, as the nation celebrated the  50th anniversary
of the Declaration of Independence, its two frail signers  died within hours
of each other. Their cause, "struggling for what is most  valuable to man, his
right of self-government," continues in the nation  they launched, still
fraught with aspirations and anxieties, flaws and  divisions but, one hopes, with
the ability to reconcile as they did, to  work together for the joint venture.
Ms. Malcolm teaches legal history at George Mason  University School of Law
and is the author of several books, including  "Stepchild of the Revolution: A
Slave Child in Revolutionary America,"  forthcoming from Yale University
Press.