[Rhodes22-list] GPS/Depth Sounder Questions, also Anchoring and Ventilation ideas

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 4 13:05:01 EDT 2007

Dave,

What about this for your screen - I fabricated a mount which bolts (2ea #8 pan head) onto the flat 'lip' which is on the stern edge of the sliding pop top hatch opening.  I just had to create a 90 degree surface for fastening the scope mount - not a problem at all.  When the PT is down I fix the mount in an upward direction, when PT is up, I fix the mount hanging down from the lip.  If it is in the way, I can slide the hatch forward without losing sight of the screen.  The rig can be effective for either large or small plotter face, I have used a Garmin which is clearly visible from the laz area.  It could be useful for GPS, depth readout, even radar, and without cluttering the boat.  Since the 'lip' is outside of the dry areas of the boat I have no concern about a few holes.

I am going to try a tube, dropped off the stern, as a portable or permanant transducer mount, I'm not that confident about 'in hull' mounting yet.

I'm curious if anyone has hung a backup anchor from the pulpit in the stern area.  I am going to try, maybe with a smaller fortress model, then run the line to the bow thru my snatch block, maybe even the stern.

Re. ventilation in hot Summer months - has anyone overnighted anchored with stern into the wind vs. the bow?  This would bring a significantly greater cross-section of air into the living area, although with greater risk of water coming into the boat.  It would create a venturi effect, with airstream thruput easily controlled by the cabin windows and/or BR curtains.  There could be an easy 'quick escape' mode if wind or chop increased beyond comfort.

Oh, what the idle mind can imagine on a lazy day.  Happy 4th of July to all Rhoadies everywhere, even in Starr, SC!

Art