[Rhodes22-list] Solar Panel size

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jul 10 17:05:33 EDT 2007

Alan,

You can charge through a 12DC receptacle (please, no cigarette lighters)
although it is more or less a quick fix or kluge.  As long as the solar
panel has the diodes in line to allow current to flow ONLY from the solar
panel to the batteries it will work.

As for the distance from the battery to the fridge, if you have that much
energy requirement you might want to consider a second battery, placed
closer to the cabin.  I prefer to put the battery in a battery storage box
under the starboard cockpit seat as far forward as possible, although many
place a battery in the enclosed cabin area.  Both would be much nearer to
your fridge.

The distance from the solar panel to the batteries is of less concern due to
the much reduced charge current.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY