[Rhodes22-list] Mast Raising System--Discussion

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Tue Jul 10 19:30:11 EDT 2007

David,

You have lost me as to what you have done.  I just raised and then lower my
mast using Stan's crane system this past weekend.  Understand that I was
taught how to use the system by Elton and his way has proved to be different
from Stan's way, as Stan will attest.  I had absolutely not problems.  I
take off no plastic pieces.  I do have to use a screw driver to unscrew the
poptop clip.  When unscrewed the pop top is flat on the deck and maybe back
half an inch.  The mast lowers without taking anything else off.  I use
extensions on the forward stays, the back stays go to the crane, and the
side stays are attached.  In raising I use the crane to bring the mast
comfortably forward to attach the forestay (furling sail).

When raising the mast, I have to fight to get the mast screw in the bast,
but that has more to do with getting all the angles lined up.

If a piece is not attached to the pop top, it should not effect raising or
lowering the mast.  Do you have a digital camera?  Post pictures, sorry I
could have taken some last week if I knew you need them.

I have a suggestion, bring the boat and mast down here and Rummy and I will
show you how to do it.  No problem.

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
http://www.nabble.com/file/p11531654/persistence.bmp persistence.bmp