[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Wally about Iraq Information(political)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 17:52:34 EDT 2007

Rob,

Thank you for providing a convenient point in the thread to post a speech.
As I said earlier in the day, I don't like McCain, but that doesn't mean he
doesn't make sense every now and then.  We can't win in Iraq?  Not with our
current attitude!  The enemy counted on that fact from the beginning.  They
studied our history, our press, our mindset, our political system.  They are
correct!  We can't win with our current attitude and fortitude, and that
won't change until we are forced to do so.  We will be forced to do so.
Here is an excerpt of what Sen. McCain had to say.

Brad

----------------------------

Let us keep in the front of our minds the likely consequences of premature
withdrawal from Iraq. Many of my colleagues would like to believe that,
should any of the various amendments forcing a withdrawal become law, it
would mark the end of this long effort. They are wrong. Should the Congress
force a precipitous withdrawal from Iraq, it would mark a new beginning, the
start of a new, more dangerous, and more arduous effort to contain the
forces unleashed by our disengagement.

No matter where my colleagues came down in 2003 about the centrality of Iraq
to the war on terror, there can simply be no debate that our efforts in Iraq
today are critical to the wider struggle against violent Islamic extremism.
Already, the terrorists are emboldened, excited that America is talking not
about winning in Iraq, but is rather debating when we should lose. Last
week, Ayman al-Zawahiri, al-Qaeda's deputy chief, said that the United
States is merely delaying our "inevitable" defeat in Iraq, and that 'the
Mujahideen of Islam in Iraq of the caliphate and jihad are advancing with
steady steps towards victory.'

If we leave Iraq prematurely, jihadists around the world will interpret the
withdrawal as their great victory against our great power. Their movement
thrives in an atmosphere of perceived victory; we saw this in the surge of
men and money flowing to al Qaeda following the Soviet withdrawal from
Afghanistan. If they defeat the United States in Iraq, they will believe
that anything is possible, that history is on their side, that they really
can bring their terrible rule to lands the world over. Recall the plan laid
out in a letter from Zawahiri to Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, before his death.
That plan is to take shape in four stages: establish a caliphate in Iraq,
extend the "jihad wave" to the secular countries neighboring Iraq, clash
with Israel — none of which shall commence until the completion of stage
one: expel the Americans from Iraq. Mr. President, the terrorists are in
this war to win it. The question is: Are we?

***

As my friend Brent Scowcroft has said recently, "The costs of staying are
visible; the costs of getting out are almost never discussed. . . If we get
out before Iraq is stable, the entire Middle East region might start to
resemble Iraq today. Getting out is not a solution." Natan Sharansky has
recently written, "A precipitous withdrawal of U.S. forces could lead to a
bloodbath that would make the current carnage pale by comparison." Should we
leave Iraq before there is a basic level of stability, we will invite
further Iranian influence at a time when Iranian operatives are already
moving weapons, training fighters, providing resources, and helping plan
operations to kill American soldiers and damage our efforts to bring
stability to Iraq. Iran will comfortably step into the power vacuum left by
a U.S. withdrawal, and such an aggrandizement of fundamentalist power has
great potential to spark greater Sunni-Shia conflict across the region.

Leaving prematurely would induce Iraq's neighbors, including Saudi Arabia
and Jordan, Egypt to Israel, Turkey and others, to feel their own security
eroding, and may well induce them to act in ways that prompt wider
instability. The potential for genocide, wider war, spiraling oil prices,
and the perception of strategic American defeat is real, Mr. President, and
no vote on this floor will change that. This fight is about Iraq but not
about Iraq alone. It is greater than that and more important still, about
whether America still has the political courage to fight for victory or
whether we will settle for defeat, with all of the terrible things that
accompany it. We cannot walk away gracefully from defeat in this war.