[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Wally about Iraq Information(political)

Herb Parsons HParsons at parsonsys.com
Wed Jul 11 17:32:50 EDT 2007

Sorry Rob, we're going to agree to disagree. The level of murder rape and torture going on now doesn't begin to approach that which was before, but even THAT is a moot point.

ALLOWING murder, rape, torture, genocide, etc because it only costs more to fight it is the mentality of losers, and the defeated.

I'll allow you to belong to that group.

Some day, when you've got a little time, count the number of US soldiers that died in WWII, then compare it to the number that died in Pearl Harbor.

We don't fight wars to "even the score", we fight wars to prevent the furtherance of a just cause. War almost ALWAYS cost more lives (in the short run) than it saves or avenges.

Some understand that concept, and unfortunately, some don't.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> "Rob Lowe" <rlowe at vt.edu> 7/11/2007 4:12 PM >>>
Hmm, let's see.  In the place of genocide, mass murder, and torture we now
have, well, secretarian violence, mass murder, torture, beheadings,
bombings, IED's, billions of dollars wasted, the loss of American prestige,
thousands of American soldiers killed, tens of thousands wounded, tens of
thousands of Iraqi citizens have flown the country, Iran flexing it's
muscle, a fractured country, infrastructure destroyed, more bombings, and so
on.  No plan to succeed or undo the damage and no way out.  Frankly, I'm be
happy with the genocide, mass murder, and torture as they were limited to
Iraq and didn't effect us.  There are many countries in the world with
atrocities happening that we clearly avoid.  Sudan being the obvious
example.  I'm in agreement with Rummy.  We should have never gotten into
Iraq.  Those opposed to the war can say I told you so.  But that's such a
hollow victory.  But the claim that we can't leave now because it will just
be worse is just as naive.  We can't win Iraq.  The wafflling of the Bush
administration in no longer amusing and never has been.  People are dying
because of him.  The latest claim that the war decisions should be
determined by the generals directly ignores that the generals in charge of
planning the war requested 500,000 troops.  They were dismissed by the
politicians.  Now we have a surge that adds just a fraction of the troops
that were originally needed.  And we still don't have a plan for winning the
war.  A "we can't leave now because it will just get worse" is not a plan.
The best plan was not to invade in the first place.  But when you elect a
frat boy cowboy for a president this is what you get.