[Rhodes22-list] Ed, Mast Raising problems revisited

David Huckabee huckabee_david at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 20:35:05 EDT 2007

Ed,

     It has been a wet day in Maine, so I didn't make much progress on mast raising problems, plus no pictures yet.

     Forgive me, but I just realized "Tootle" was you.  The picture you sent showing the mast crutch leaning somewhat forward over the lazerette sparked an effort by me this morning to see if I could raise the mast and create a better angle that might solve my problem clearing the pop-top-to-mast slider fitting by changing the angle of the crutch.
       My mast crutch, installed the same way as your picture, leans slightly aft of the transom.  I took out the bolts of the white plastic fitting that fits over the stern rail to see if I could get any meaningful forward rotation to increase the crutch height.  I could not.

       After running some errands today, my plan was to temporarily "build up" the roller to see if drilling new lower holes on the aluminum poles to lower the black transom brackets would give me clearance in order to avoid the pop-top slider connection.  I didn't get the chance because of the weather.

        Stan responded to my email to him about the critical problem of the mast binding on mast step by  first asking:   "is the aft bottom sides of the mast cut back at an angle on each side?"  My mast has not been so modified.  I'm awaiting Stan's instructions about how much metal I should remove.

  David,

In case you haven't noticed, there is a lot of political diatribe posted
lately.  You had a good sailboat question and have disappeared?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA