[Rhodes22-list] NOLA - Still Political

Herb Parsons HParsons at parsonsys.com
Thu Jul 12 11:52:10 EDT 2007

I go to the area for the food, the lake (Pontchartrain), to work on my boat (not NEARLY enough of that lately), and leave the politics alone. Trying to deal with the politics in NO (just about all of LA for that matter) is about like trying to play with rattlesnakes. Trying to do it long term is like trying to keep rattlesnakes as pets, and playing with them. Some can do it, I'll sail (and eat) instead.

Herb Parsons

S/V O'Jure
  1976 O'Day 25
  Lake Grapevine, N TX

S/V Reve de Papa
  1971 Coronado 35
  Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana Coast

>>> "Brad Haslett" <flybrad at gmail.com> 7/12/2007 10:25 AM >>>
Herb,

We've chased a couple of deals in NOLA, or followed a couple of primrose
paths to deals in NOLA, but have chosen to stay in Mississippi.  A co-worker
and his two brothers, also airline pilots, started a container company in
NOLA and the MS Coast.  I thought about doing that but didn't  because we
don't have the capital.  Being poor has its rewards!  They got busted for
illegally dumping on what they thought was a FEMA approved dump site.  The
Feds and locals watched them dump for about six months and then went in for
the kill.  He thinks a competitor set him up.  Whatever the case, we don't
know anything about NOLA but we know enough to stay-the-hell out.  I have
yet to meet a single contractor that didn't get burned sooner or later in
NOLA since Katrina.  We'll stick to what we know.

Brad