[Rhodes22-list] List etiquette

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Jul 12 14:34:23 EDT 2007

Rummy,
I still have the email with the "rules" that I got when I signed on in April
of 2003.  Guess that still makes me a teen on this list.
I must say if you want to cut down on the number of messages you get (and be
able to skip over the political ones), consider getting this in digest
form. - rob

Rob Lowe
1976 Rhodes
S/V Getaway

Rhodes Mailing List. The Rhodes Sailboats Discussion List is open to
everyone with an interest in Rhodes Sailboats. It is an automated
discussion list where messages are copied to every list member's
mailbox. Traffic varies from one to 40 messages a day.

The list is maintained by rhodes22.org as a courtesy to Rhodes
Sailboats Fans worldwide. It is hoped that the list will promote
discussion about Rhodes Sailboats and provide members with a means of
sharing their interests and experiences.

CHARTER: rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org

The rhodes-list at sailnet.net group will be open to discussion of all
subjects specifically referring to Rhodes sailboats or  Rhodes
sailors. The focus of this group includes, but is not limited to:

* Encouraging the understanding and discussion of Rhodes sailboats or
Rhodes sailors, in the many ways people wish to define it.

* Acting as a source of information for  Rhodes sailboats or Rhodes
sailors worldwide and for people planning  to buy/sell/repair/learn
about Rhodes sailboats or Rhodes sailors.

* Providing a forum for the development and promotion Rhodes sailboats
or Rhodes sailors'  culture, history, traditions and economy.

* Any other subject that might be found at a sailor's bar or the
Clubhouse Bar, Including Rhodes sailboats or Rhodes sailors' travels,
events, family, jokes, quotations, pets, etc.

* The level of discussion does not have to be fit for a child, but
some good taste is expected.

Binaries and Formatting: The posting of encoded binaries (e.g.
pictures, compressed files, etc.) to  rhodes-list at sailnet..net is not
allowed, the list server will remove them. Please use mixed case when
posting (Upper and lower case letters), typing words in uppercase
means you are SHOUTING.

Quoting: Place new material at the top of the post and quote what you
are replying to below. That makes it simple to find out what is being
said. You are encouraged to edit down the quoted material.

HTML mail: Allot of the email programs (Netscape and outlook) that can
send their email with embedded HTML. Embedded HTML can cause some of
the list members to have trouble reading their mail due to "browser
wars", not reading their mail with a web browser and double messages
in digest mode. Member are encouraged to set their programs to send
"text" email.

Subject Line: Please set or change the subject line to reflect the
true subject of the  post. for example "Subject: anchors" might be
turned into "Subject: gastank was anchors". If a joke (or any
questionable material) is being posted please indicate it on the
subject line, for example "Subject: Monday's Humor (jokes)"

Netiquette: Posts to the group are expected to be considerate of other
readers. Personal abuse, flames, and obscenities are *not*
appreciated; but we are sailors.......

Anonymous email: It is expected that users will provide their name in
the email and will sign same.  We like to know who we're talking to.

Social Interaction/Manners: To a certain extent, the interaction is
about what you would expect in any informal social setting, for
example, a bar.  It is recommended that you get to know people first
and introduce yourself (about the same social rules that you would use
to meet any new group of people). There is a high level of chitchat on
the list, and what you might think is insulting to a group or region
might only be people kidding each other after knowing them for years.
As in any bar, the subjects of politics and religion can lead to
heated augments and bar fights. These might be best avoided.

The need to participate: It is recognized that a group is only whoever
post to it, no more and no less. We can only talk about what people
post about. You earn respect on the list by postings and trying to
help each other, you can not demand it. Most sailing topics we have
talked about already, We chit chat in the mean time waiting to answer
questions or a new subject/story.  If you want to know something,
please post it, the more detail the better. If someone is trying to
help you please answer their reasonable questions. If you can help
someone, again post it, Try to repay the knowledge you gained.

  rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org

subscription page at:

  http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/options/rhodes22-list/rlowe%40vt.edu

  Rhodes22-list-request at rhodes22.org

You must know your password to change your options (including changing
the password, itself) or to unsubscribe.  It is:

  *****
Normally, Mailman will remind you of your rhodes22.org mailing list
passwords once every month, although you can disable this if you
prefer.  This reminder will also include instructions on how to
unsubscribe or change your account options.  There is also a button on
your options page that will email your current password to you.