[Rhodes22-list] Dam it - Gregg you are too good - try a sailing question

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 17 08:25:18 EDT 2007

Ed,

You are the original drumbeat on researching a topic thoroughly - what a contradiction to see this question.  I'd suggest you look up 'airfoil' and 'wing' on the web and you will get a good primer on the topic.

An airfoil(wing), whatever reasonable cross section you have, will create lift when put into a fluid - water, air, etc. Call lift a force caused by differential in air pressure which will act to move the airfoil toward the lesser pressure zone.  Just put your arm out the window of your car.  rotate your hand and you change 'angle of attack', affecting the lift you create.  This airfoil surface can even be flat, but depends on the fluid surrounding it for lift.  A glider, with the most effective airfoil for its application, still depends on the air fluid condition for lift - so it must ride to higher reaches on top of thermals.  We lived near Heber City, sailplane haven, which has abundant thermals generated in the Uinta Range of Utah.  I used the thermals frequently so I could go directly from Provo to Vail at 15K.

Point your hand upward and you simulate the action of the sail - just a vertical wing.  Maybe this helps.

Art