[Rhodes22-list] Economics - More Good News - Except the foundation

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 18:48:32 EDT 2007

Ed,

Manufacturing inflation is measured by the Producer Price Index, which
dropped 0.2% in June.  I know that is hard to believe if you're in the boat
business buying paint and tackle, but there are always niches who get hit
and others that go unscathed. This is a gross oversimplification, but the
PPI looks at the prices charged for finished goods.  One of the reasons the
PPI has remained steady while input costs have increased is that
manufacturing efficiency has increased as well.  For small businesses like
Stan's, you can't very well change your manufacturing methods and you can't
make up the difference on volume.  I don't make these numbers up, the BLS
does, and there are plenty of smart people on Wall Street to keep them
honest.  Now where is this market going?  I don't have a crystal ball but it
has been a nice, long, sweet run.  Nothing lasts forever.

Brad