[Rhodes22-list] Topping lift and whisker pole

Jay Friedland jsail1 at verizon.net
Wed Jul 18 12:20:44 EDT 2007

Rummy,
Normally, it should be parallel to the deck/waterline. Without a
topping lift in light winds, it's weight pulls the sheets down. My
mounting eye is on an adjustable track about 24" off the deck, and
the pole can drag just at or below the deck level. Trimming the
sheets would raise the pole from the tension, but I'd lose the full
balloon shape and the benefit of the 155% gennie.

Hope it's clearer. You avoided it with a lighter pole. Here I've used
it in 15-20 Kts.