[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Just Bent about weather helm

benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com benonvelvetelvis at theskinnyonbenny.com
Wed Jul 18 12:10:09 EDT 2007

I'm with you Art.  I furl the genny first, and that's usually enoough, but if
not, I'll furl the main too.

I like to keep the boom high because I usually want to keep my bimini in the
picture, although I understand that it causes a good bit of my trouble if the
wind is strong enough for reefing.  In the summer, I choose shade over ideal sail
plan.

Also, I sometimes have people aboard who don't have the sailing sense to keep
from standing up during a jibe.  (That's not even a joke.  And some have been
sailing with me for years.  In their defense, we mix a mean drink, and I let them
leave the sailing to me if they're so inclined.)

Bimini aside, the R22 sails great whether you lower the boom or shorten the main,
so to each his own on that call.

Ben

On Wed Jul 18  8:56 , 'Arthur H. Czerwonky' <czerwonky at earthlink.net> sent:

>Rummy,
>Have you ever just shortened the main rather than lower the boom - to save the
head clearance in the cockpit?  Works for me.