[Rhodes22-list] Boats for your guests

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Wed Jul 18 12:15:21 EDT 2007

Dan, I urge you to rethink this.

The Rhodes 22 weighs more than 3000 lbs, is tricky for
the first-time sailor to set up, and is more boat than
the casual (novice) day sailor can appreciate.  Don't
get me wrong -- grab the boat for your own use, but
don't turn it over to an inexperienced guest.  You would
be asking for trouble -- think lawsuit...

I suggest that you consider the West Wight Potter 15
(made by International Marine) for guest use.

It is lightweight (<600 lbs), easy to tow and launch,
easy to set up, and will sleep two in a pinch in its
cabin, though it is much better used as a day boat.

It has a swing keel, draws 8-10" of water with the
board up, and the sail plan is simple and forgiving.
Repairs are easier when (not if) a guest misuses them.

So embrace a Rhodes 22 for yourself, but don't turn
over a jewel like a Rhodes 22 to someone who has no
conception of her true worth, nor any idea how to the
get the best out of her.  That would be a crime.

--
Robert Skinner