[Rhodes22-list] Raising the Mast without a Crane

Hank hnw555 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 08:50:32 EDT 2007

Hello Rhodies,

I plan to raise my mast shortly and I don't have a trailier or mast raising
system from Stan.  Don't intend to do it enough to justify the cost.  Here
is what I plan to do, please let me know you opinions.

1.  Attach the mast to the tabenacle.

2. Connect the aft stays.

3.  Connect the aft lowers.

4.  Attach an extension line to the spinnaker halyard to server as a point.
Bitter end of halyard is tied off at mast base.

5.  Begin raising the mast by lifting from the back of the boat.

6.  Walk forward to raise the mast higher.  2nd person on ground in front of
boat begins pulling on extension to halyard.

7.  Once mast is raised, connect lower forward stays to stabilize.

8.  Finish by connecting side upper stays and forestay.

Thanks,

Hank