[Rhodes22-list] Raising the Mast without a Crane

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Thu Jul 19 09:13:55 EDT 2007

Hank,
I'll forward more info later, but I do something similar.  I actually use a
bowline in my main halyard about 6 feet off the cabin top.  I use the
trailer winch (raising mast while boat is on trailer) to hook to the loop
and have someone crank on the wince while two people guide the mast to keep
if from falling to one side.  I found last time to make sure the winch line
goes through the bow pulpit as close to the center of the boat as possible.
Pulling with the wince might be easier than having a person pull on a line.
I leave the winch attached until I can attach the forestay since I usually
need to crank on it just a bit.  Leave the back stays loose until you get
the forestay attached and then tighten those.  I'll send Slims instructions
in just a minute.
 - rob