[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane and DC Happy Hour

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Mon Jul 23 15:30:43 EDT 2007

Slim,

Thanks for the bail description - I think I understand, but it seems
strange.  I assuming you are talking about a spinning reel and not a fly or  bait
casting reel, right?  I'm surprised that relatively thin piece of  metal can take
the load.  Why wouldn't a pad eye work just as well?

What's connected to the bail and then to the winch?  Do you have a  pre-cut
length of chain, or heavy line?  Snap shackles on the ends?

For those of us without bails, do you think just wrapping a line  around the
mast several times instead of having that bail through bolted would  work?
Maybe with a sheet of sticky material between the line and the  aluminum mast so
that the attachment point wouldn't slip down as the mast was  winched up.

Dave