[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane and DC Happy Hour

Mary Lou Troy mtroy at atlanticbb.net
Mon Jul 23 15:44:20 EDT 2007

Dave,
The key to the whole mast raising system is the crane which attaches
to the block on the cabin top. It has a winch at the other end. The
line from the winch goes to the foredeck cleat. You wind up the line
on the winch, the crane acts as a lever to raise the mast. The whole
thing gives you plenty of leverage and power to easily raise the
mast. We have the version which uses the stays. The bail is simply a
more convenient attachment point - I believe Slim said it is
throughbolted. Bails come in all weights and sizes. You can get very
sturdy ones for attaching boom vangs to booms. I wouldn't want to use
a pad eye attached with machine screws because of the forces
involved. The pad eye is great for the whisker pole which doesn't
apply any direct outward force.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Rock Hall, MD