[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane and DC Happy Hour

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 24 17:33:25 EDT 2007

Lee,

Haven't heard from Hank.  If we get any more Rhodies involved we may  have to
notify DHS, they'll want to keep a lid on the event.  Security, you  know.

I don't know where Hank keeps his boat but if it's at all local we might  all
meet there.  My thought was that you and I could stand  around sipping cool
libations while watching Hank bust his tail getting the mast  up in the hot
sun.  We could help the process by shouting up wildly  contradictory and
uniformly bad advice.  Is this a great plan, or what? (  Could this be why we haven't
heard from Hank?)

Seriously, at this point we need input from Hank.

We've been out on the Bay a couple of times recently also. We average  once a
week - it takes an hour to get to the marina so we don't go daily, and  some
weeks we're out of town.  Some weeks we're out twice.  It's been  a remarkable
season, we've had plenty of wind all summer.

FWIW. this last weekend we tried a new maneuver called "trolling for crab
pots", and we actually caught one.  Actually, it caught us.  I  realized our
good luck when I noted the rudder didn't have sufficient  steering authority to
turn us from the land ahead. I thought to check the  OB and there, jammed
between the prop and the lower motor housing, was a  crab pot float with a rope
streaming off to the rear.  This has never  happened to us before, some people
are just lucky.

Turns out I'd decided to leave the motor down and linked to the tiller in
case things got out of control  I didn't want to be hanging off the stern
disconnecting and then reconnecting things in the wind and chop.  Early on  I
measured the wind at 18 kts, and we were making more than 4 kts when I  made the
measurement; I wasn't real comfortable.  In retrospect, I  should have
disconnected the linkage and raised the motor once we left the  harbor.

At any rate, I was able to raise the motor to the point I could access the
prop with our boat hook, then by levering the boat hook I was able to pry
loose the float and clear the float and rope from the prop.  Once I  found the
right leverage point it wasn't hard, but it took a few moments.   In the meantime
the land was coming up and that added to the excitement of the  moment. Fun?

The above has probably happened to everyone who has sailed the Chesapeake,
but it was the first time for us.  I'm sure there are more crab pots than
crabs left in the Bay, and we found ours.  The moral of the story  is, keep your
motor up.

I think I've learned something nearly every time I've gone out this season
because I had to deal with an unanticipated situation nearly every  time, and
that's largely a consequence of the relatively high winds we've  had this
season (15kt to 20kt).  What ever happened to sailing as a simple  and genteel
sport where you glide reliably, serenely, and securely from  point to point upon
quiet, gentle, water?

Seriously, I look forward to hearing form Hank, and I look forward to
meeting you.

Dave