[Rhodes22-list] Pot Luck - the art of snagging a trap (pot) float

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Jul 24 17:51:36 EDT 2007

Dave,

We don't have many crab pots in the LI Sound - we have lobster pots!  They
are just about everywhere!  When you get snagged on one, they usually let go
pretty easily, unless your rudder is fully down and locked.  My first summer
with our R22 I nearly ripped the rudder assembly off the stern when we were
really moving and caught a partially submerged float that nobody saw.
Fortunately (for us, not the pot owner), the line snapped before the rudder
did and we continued on our way.  The problem was that while we lowered the
main and furled the genny, the line became badly fouled and I couldn't seem
to loosen it unless the boat stopped pulling.  As a result, I rarely lock
the rudder down and have a good sized knife attached to the underside of the
lazarette cover (handy access) to cut us loose in a hurry.  It is always fun

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY

From: <DCLewis1 at aol.com> Tuesday, July 24, 2007 5:33 PM