[Rhodes22-list] to Robert and Slim - Boat Naming

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 24 17:40:47 EDT 2007

Bill,

Shadow would be fine but remember that nobody else knows that was your dog.
They might presume something else.  Make sure your wife likes it too.
Agreement on the name is essential.  Also, proper radio protocol requires
you say the name three times, e.g., "Shadow, Shadow, come in Shadow."
Shadow is easy to say, easy to understand so there's not much room for
error.  We used to have a member of this list whose boat was named Ohuru
II.  I'm not sure it's spelled right--that's the first problem.  Now try
saying it out load:  "Ohuru II, Ohuru II, hailing Ohuru II."  I don't mean
to pick on LC, in fact I miss him here on the list and I understand Ohuru is
the Swahili word for peace.  (He was asked once if he was a Trekie and he'd
never heard of Star Trek.)  And that's great but it's a hard one for people
to understand over the radio, and even harder to say if you've had a few
drinks.  8-)

Take your time with this decision.

Slim