[Rhodes22-list] Taylormade Anchor Shade

David Culp daculp at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 01:12:55 EDT 2007

Texas sun is not kind to vinyl and as a result, my bimini cover was shot
when I got my boat from a private owner.  I don't want a bimini to sail with
and couldn't see replacing it just to sit underneath it at anchor
occasionally.  Then I spotted this item at West Marine called an Anchor
Shade.  It is basically an umbrella for a boat and it just so happens that
it fits the cockpit area of the Rhodes perfectly including being able to use
the existing forward strap attachment points from the previous bimini
installation.  The rear straps attach nicely to the rear cleats in the
method that the manufacturer recommends.  For the front straps, you merely
turn the strap around and use the clip on the boat's attach point.  Anyone
interested, I have photos of how I attached it, just email me and I will
send them to you.

Now let's be clear.  If you want to sail with your cockpit covered from the
hot sun-then this is not for you.  If you want to overnight in your
boat-again, this is not for you.  If you want to sail and then anchor in
light winds or sit in your slip under some shade and eat your sandwich-then
this will work.  For the other two situations, I can think of nothing better
then purchasing a bimini or the boom-room from GBI which I would do if I
intended to do either of those two things.

I have attached two photos.  One is OK and shows the cockpit with the Anchor
Shade in place.  The other is out of focus but is adequate to show the view
from the cabin underneath the canopy.

Again, I am not recommending this as a replacement for any equipment that
GBI sells.  This item is too flimsy to use except on a very temporary basis
when the wind dies and the sun is baking.

David Culp