[Rhodes22-list] The Need to Pee

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:09:49 EDT 2007

Mike,

They leave the first class "blue room" intact when they do the
pax-to-freighter mod.  Nothing fancy but available just the same.  The story
did remind me of a couple of incidents early in my career.

First story: A guy landed late one day looking for fuel and a motel room.  I
causally mentioned while refueling his airplane that his was perhaps the
dirtiest airplane I'd ever seen.  He explained that he'd ferried the
airplane from Australia, or some place, with fuel bladders on board and he'd
done nothing but add gas and oil for several days.

"Hey kid, what would you charge me to wash it?"  I quoted him a price and
got to the job at hand.
 The next day I asked him "what was that shit down the left side of the
airplane?"

"Shit!"

Seems he felt the urge and did the deed in a paper bag.  It burst while
shoving it out the little window on the pilot side.

Second story:  We used to get a lot of gliders in the summertime when the
thermals were good over the cropland.  A guy landed one day and I drove the
old Willys out to meet him.  The canopy flew open and he jumped out
screaming, "there any women around here?"  Wow, what a stud to go hunting
babes in a glider, I thought!  Turns out he'd been aloft for about seven
hours and the lift was so good he didn't want to come down.  He finally gave
in rather than wet his pants.

Brad