[Rhodes22-list] Going green

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Wed Jun 20 17:46:32 EDT 2007

Solar energy generation systems are very interesting.  It seems that it is
not cost effective to produce electricity when the sun shines and store it
in batteries for night use.  Most affordable (look at the tax breaks,
especially for commercial installations) solar energy systems are connected
to the grid to sell power to the utility during the day and buy some back at
night.  The system requires only solar panels, an inverter and a net meter,
no batteries.  This is quite different from some of the "backwoods" off-grid
systems that you find in remote cabins.  Some of them are DC based with
small inverters for AC appliances.

BTW, some of the energy saving fluorecents seem to have very reduced life
when operated on AC inverters.  This appears to be caused by cheap, "square
wave" (not sine) inverters.  If you are using fluorescents off the grid,
keep this in mind.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY