[Rhodes22-list] Going green

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 18:45:57 EDT 2007

Slim,

The problem with solar (and wind) is the same old "there's no such thing as
a free lunch" issue.  The manufacture of the panels themselves, and
especially the batteries to store energy, pose their own environmental
issues.  Right now, nothing can compete with coal price wise. Nuclear can
but we've made it so difficult to build one that none have been in thirty
years. Natural gas "peaking" plants were added to the nation's power supply
as a bone to the enviro-nazis late in the Clinton administration, but these
aren't competitive either.  The next time you have to wait for a train for
more than five minutes, look at the cars.  Chances are it is a 'unit train'
of roughly 140 cars of Western coal headed for Eastern power plants.  The
ultimate solution is so obvious it is painful to even hear it being
debated.  N-U-C-L-E-A-R-!  Were it not for using it for a bomb for its first
application we wouldn't be having this discussion.  Once you have cheap
electricity available, all kinds of energy conversion options open up;
electric cars, coal-to-liquid, tar sands, hydrogen, etc.  The problem with
nuclear energy is mostly one of perception.  From an environmental point of
view, nothing can compete.

BTW, we've run our business on the Gulf Coast for almost two years now with
a hybrid system of grid power and off grid power incorporating generators,
batteries, and solar panels.  Off grid is a major PITA but doable. Our water
system is a cistern off the shop roof that we feed to a plastic gravity
header tank exposed to the sun.  This time of year the water is so hot you
can barely stand to take a shower.  In your part of the world, geothermal is
the way to go if you have the land or a deep well.  Most people won't spend
the money on the front end because the payback is so long (about seven
years).  The only thing that makes people change their ways in the aggregate
is pain (market prices).

Brad