[Rhodes22-list] Energy - While You Were Sleeping

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Fri Jun 22 08:59:29 EDT 2007

Brad,
The price for corn won't take that big of a jump. Fields that were
previously in the "land Bank" will now come out of retirement and be used for  raising
more corn. The land bank paid farmers for not planting anything on their
land. It was a way to control commodity prices which fell dramatically because  of
the excess production due to more efficient farming methods. I doubt that
corn prices will rise to much because it still is the feed of choice for dairy
farmers who grow most of what they use. Ethanol plants are popping up all over
 in Wisconsin and area farmers are being encouraged to grow corn to supply
them.  Many of the tractors used to plow the fields are now using bio diesel
which is  also becoming more readily available through the farmers cooperatives.
Sounds  like ethenol might actually be more green friendly than one would
think.
In the old days, if farmers got forty of fifty bushels of corn per acre,
that was considered the norm. Today they are getting 100 bushels or more per
acre. Yes, corn prices on the market are rising, but that will also give farmers
incentives to grow more which will balance out the supply and demand.
Now if we can only get the government to quit adding 15% gasoline to the
ethanol, I might stop drinking rum and make the switch to 180 proof  alcohol.

Rummy