[Rhodes22-list] Energy - While You Were Sleeping

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 09:13:09 EDT 2007

Rummy,

You're from the Midwest, same as me, and should remember that the CRP
program (land bank) was established to take marginal (meaning erodible) land
out of production.  Yes, part of the idea was to cut down on the
overproduction of crops but the bigger goal was to protect the watershed.
Corn is a greedy plant and corn on corn is an input intensive process.
Ethanol has a place in the energy mix, especially as an oxygenate for
gasoline. But, no matter how much lipstick you put on this pig, it is still
pork, a huge transfer of wealth all based on the myth of good energy
policy.  You mentioned bio-diesel which is a completely different product.
Soybean and rapeseed bio-diesel certainly gets my vote and could be a boon
for farmers.  Bio-diesel can compete at $3 per gallon without a subsidy and
since soybeans are a legume, are much less input demanding on the soil.  If
the energy bill makes it through the House with the new CAFE standards
intact, you'll see diesel cars make a comeback.  I'll buy one and start
singing the bean theme song.

Beans, beans, good for the heart!

The more you eat, the more you ..............

You get the idea.

Brad