[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes 22 does 17.6kts !!!

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Mon Jun 25 10:37:18 EDT 2007

At 11:51 PM 6/24/2007 -0400, Alan Robertson wrote:
>A GPS can't substitute for local knowledge nor if is configured
>primarily for land use has limitations for marine. Can a GPS account
>for tidal currents or leeward drift on a beat? Please enlighten we
>old chart and parallel rulers users!!

I use my GPS primarily as a knotmeter.  Since I'm on an inland lake,
currents and navigation are not an issue.  We're always within site
of land.  But even if I wasn't, the GPS reports your track and
heading, so leeway is clearly visible.  The greater the difference
between track and heading, the greater the leeway.  If I set a
destination, I also get VMG, ETA, and some other alphabet soup that I
don't care about.  It also has a graphic compass, which isn't
affected by metal on the boat, so it helps confirm whatever my
bulkhead compass is reading.

'Course it won't tell me water depth (the fish finder does that), but
it's a useful device - as long as its input data is reliable.

Cheers!

John Lock