[Rhodes22-list] Iraq - It is still there!

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 15:19:35 EDT 2007

Stan,

Thank your sir!  Why do we fight these battles with one hand tied behind our
back?  You would go, I would go, the whole nation would be behind this
effort if the real threat were communicated.  Alas, W is not the great
communicator.  Wars should be fought by old men, not by children.  My gut
tells me I could convince you to sign-up for this one, as I would in a
heartbeat.  Thank-you for your previous service.  Lieberman sees the big
picture and was crucified by his party for stating it. I admire his courage
and principle above politics.  Whether it was smart to start this war is
immaterial now, what is important is that we win it!.  There is no Great War
to End all Wars!  There is always a new 'ism' that is bent on domination.
This one is particularly difficult to fight because it doesn't wear uniforms
and doesn't have a single nation or ethnic background.  AlQaeda is very much
a presence in Iraq.  So, that is where we fight.  Whose party started this
fight is unimportant now. The least we can do as citizens is stay informed
on what the average 20-something-year-old who is actually doing the fighting
is thinking.  You have to do that on your own.  The press wants to run the
world, not report on what is happening. I don't want my kids in Iraq because
I wouldn't want them to come back to base from a hard day's fight,  tune in
the news, and see a nation that doesn't care or isn't aware of their
service.  You and I are older and wiser.  Too old to fight the current enemy
directly and too wise too ignore the threat. My passion (and compassion for
the victims) for this war will be buried long before this war is over.  At
least my kids can say I didn't sleep through it, even though I didn't
encourage them to directly fight it!  Oh hypocrisy, where is thy sting?

Brad