[Rhodes22-list] Reply to Slim (Politics - Government 101)

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 09:09:05 EDT 2007

Ed,

Cheney drives the press and the far left loonies crazy because he doesn't
play by their rules.  He's not running for office, doesn't want to be the
next President, and doesn't play political games.  That isn't good for his
image but that is who he is. I've flown with a former Halliburton pilot who
knew him there - Cheney's a no no nonsense guy - nice guy, just all
business. Whether it is telling Leahy to go f*#k himself on the Senate floor
or the press to "go pound sand", Cheney is his own man.  The Scooter Libby
witch hunt was political payback (he'll either win his appeal or get
pardoned) and Cheney's willingness to play hardball with the release of his
documents is a much needed attempt to restore power to the Executive branch,
which has yet to recover from Vietnam and Watergate. I'm far more interested
in what Sandy Berger stole from the National Archives that was so damning
that he would surrender his law license rather than reveal the contents.
Interesting. Now as to Slim's observation about Iraq being better off under
Saddam, the numbers just don't bear that out. As was revealed by Saddam's
trial and other sources, he killed at least 2 million of his own people in
24 years of power.  That works out to an average of 6,944 per month.  Under
US occupation, responsible estimates show about 60,000 Iraqi civilians have
been killed since the war started.  That is about 1200 per month.  Most of
those deaths came at the hands of al-Qaida terrorists, not US soldiers.
BTW, I hope Slim was successful in his efforts to quit smoking.  Al-Qaida
cut the fingers off of smokers in the areas they controlled in Iraq. One of
the first things Iraqi citizens ask from US soldiers in areas that we have
liberated in the last week is cigarettes. Of course you didn't read that in
the major newspapers.  It doesn't fit their storyline:  Us Bad - Enemy Good!

 I will say this about Cheney though, I wouldn't want him as a hunting
partner.

Brad