[Rhodes22-list] Apple virtuality

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Mar 2 14:37:50 EST 2007

Robert's notes interleaved --

Bill Effros wrote:
> As I remember it, Microsoft bought the rights to Seattle DOS.

Yup - after telling IBM that they had a x86 version of their own
in the works.  Seattle never knew the value of what they sold.
Bill was, and remains a sharp dealer.

See: http://www.cadigital.com/kildall.htm

> Seattle Microsystems retained the right to sell their own version of
> their DOS.

Trouble is, IBM cleaned up PC-DOS, and had the marketing clout to
push their own version thereafter, despite the superiority of
Kildall's CP/M 86.

> Apple survived only because VisiCalc ran only on the Apple.
> Microsoft prospered only because they retained the right to sell IBM-DOS
> as MS-DOS.  Microsoft only got this right because IBM was in the midst
> of antitrust suits filed by the federal government.  The original PC was
> a "poison the well" computer system designed to kill the microcomputer
> market segment.  IBM never expected it to succeed in its own right.
> Originally Lotus1-2-3 only worked on PCs manufactured by IBMs running
> IBM-DOS.  Microsoft knocked it off, along with a wordprocessing program
> to provide top-tier software for both Apple, and PC "clones".
>
> At least that's the way I remember it -- no time to look it up now.
>
> Bill Effros

Bill, we agree in large measure about the sequence of events.  However,
I regard Bill Gates as a very successful entrepreneur, not admirable
as a person, based on personal contact in the early years of micros.
Time has not softened my position, and I welcome the current trends
toward a more universal platform.  Open Office 2.1 runs on both Windows
and LINUX, produces PDF files as an optional form of output, and (so far)
has proved a very useful substitute for Word and Excel -- and it is free.

The march away from proprietary platforms continues.  A generic OS is
key to the next couple of decades of economic growth.  Europe has
recognized this, and it is gradually manifesting in the US.

/Robert