[Rhodes22-list] Keys Anchoring

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Sun Mar 4 23:00:01 EST 2007

Pete,

It depends on what you are anchoring in.

Coral and Sand?

Anchoring on coral is a no-no as I remember it.  Grapnels are good for
grabbing onto things and holding, but they do a lot of damage, and can
get dislodged.

I like Fortress anchors.  You can take them apart so you can easily stow
a bunch of them on board.  You set them like setting a fishing hook.  I
prefer no chain so you can really "feel" the bottom and know when your
anchor is properly set.  Maintain some tension on the anchor rode at all
times, and that anchor won't come out until you get your boat almost
directly above it.  If you drop 2 anchors widely apart and point the
flukes in different directions you can maintain tension on one or the
other at all times regardless of wind or current shifts.

Even small Fortress anchors are more than enough to hold an R-22.  The
more the wind blows, the better the anchor sets.  The anchor won't
break.  The line won't break.  The anchor won't drag.  Your only problem
is freeing the anchor--once the wind hits a certain velocity, your motor
can't move the boat forward so that you can get directly above the
anchor and release it.  If you try to tack up to the anchor you run the
risk of fouling your prop.

Bill Effros