[Rhodes22-list] Anchoring - general comments - retry

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Mon Mar 5 14:51:24 EST 2007

My original post was returned as being SPAM:
<rhodes22-list at rhodes22.org>
    (reason: 554 5.7.1 Service unavailable;
    Client host [24.24.2.55] blocked using
safe.dnsbl.sorbs.net; Currently Sending Spam See:
http://www.sorbs.net/lookup.shtml?24.24.2.55)
It is not, nor do I send spam, so I am retrying.
/Robert
Bill Effros wrote:
> ... Grapnels are good for grabbing onto things and
> holding, but they do a lot of damage, and can
> get dislodged.

Agreed.  I keep a cheap folding one on board
as a lunch hook and for snagging and retrieving
objects from the bottom.

> I like Fortress anchors.  You can take them apart so you can easily stow
> a bunch of them on board...

Also agreed,  A Fortress is one of the most
versatile anchors you can have aboard, and
they do very well in sand/soft bottoms.  I
have one on board as the biggest storm
anchor.

> If you drop 2 anchors widely apart and point the
> flukes in different directions you can maintain
> tension on one or the other at all times
> regardless of wind or current shifts...

The Bahamian mooring is very useful at times.
I carry a cheap Hooker danforth-style as a
working anchor, and deploy the Fortress as a
second anchor in case of bad weather.  The
double-anchor has two possible problems:

*  The rodes can become tangled if
   you rotate around 360 degrees.

*  If you are in a crowded anchorage,
   your boat will not swing with the
   others, and may cause trouble.

> Your only problem is freeing the anchor--once
> the wind hits a certain velocity, your motor
> can't move the boat forward so that you can get
> directly above the anchor and release it...

Bill's point about the difficulty of
retrieval is something to consider.  This
is an excellent time to consider just how
much you want to have invested in your
working anchor.  There are some conditions
under which you may want to cut it loose,
and not worry about how many bux you are
leaving on the bottom.

Most anchors have a place where you can
attach a trip line.  Having a trip line
attached to a fender makes it easier to
pull it loose once you get near enough
to het a boathook on it.  Takes
forethought, though.

Another retrieval system consists of a
ring that you can clip around the rode.
It slides down the rode and onto the
shank of the anchor, letting you pull
the anchor out backwards - once you get
upwind/uptide of it.

Finally, up here in Maine, we have a lot
of rocky bottoms.  A cheap claw anchor is
a good choice for these -- but without a
trip line, even with a retrieval ring, you
have to be ready to say goodby to your
anchor now and then.

--
Robert Skinner               "Squirrel Haven"
9 Gateway Commons, Gorham, Maine   04038-1331