[Rhodes22-list] "Make me the President for one day"

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 08:23:22 EST 2007

Ed,

I'm always open for new information.  Nothing I've studied that hasn't been
produced by the Corn Growers Assn., Archer Daniels Midland, or other ethanol
friendly sources show it to be much better than a 1.1 to 1 gain for corn
based ethanol.  Factor in the loss of power from ethanol powered engines and
it looks even worse.  Corn based ethanol is only economically productive in
the US because of heavy subsidies.  Economics 101 teaches us that products
that are economic don't need subsidies.  Sugar cane ethanol is a different
story and that is why it is somewhat more successful in places like Brazil
(Brazil is only energy independent because they also drilled heavily for
oil).  Switchgrass ethanol from permaculture does hold promise but the
industry is in the infant stage and there isn't a single commercial plant in
operation.  I stand by my statements that corn based ethanol is a "feel
good" placebo fuel that buys votes in the heartland but otherwise does very
little for energy independence.

Brad