[Rhodes22-list] A new Rhodes Owner in Georgia

John Lock jlock at relevantarts.com
Fri Mar 9 08:49:23 EST 2007

Dear Fellow Rhodies,

Dang!  I didn't think I'd be saying that this year!  The move of home
and business this past fall took more out of us than planned (in many
ways) and the search for a Rhodes 22 was put on hold.  But after an
eventful 3-day road trip (complete with busted fuel pump), Chet's
Rhodes 22 has arrived at her new home on Lake Sinclair near Eatonton,
GA.  Well... she's not in the water yet, but close enough to see it.

After enjoying the hospitality of Andersen, SC for an extra day or so
(while our F-250 tow vehicle got its new fuel pump), we finally
hitched up the Rhodes just before dark on Wednesday evening.  Not
wanting to test my newbie trailering skills at night thru the
construction corridor on I-85, we spent the night right there, just a
few miles from Creedmor, NC and made the trip back yesterday without
further excitement.

I've got a few things to put right before she goes in the water and
we'll need to do a dry-run on mast raising, so I don't make a
complete fool of myself at the marina.  But I hope to have her tied
up at our dock in the next couple weeks or so.

At this point she is unnamed.  Passing through Eatonton on the way
home I briefly considered "Bra'er Spitzer", but figured the
references would be too obscure for most.  Something will come to us
shortly I'm sure. :-)

Yesterday evening we sat in her cockpit and watched the sun set,
toasting our good fortune with Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale, as a
fitting close to the whole acquisition process.  Now the real fun begins!

I'll have plenty of newbie questions to post in the coming
weeks.  Yes, Ed, I'll make a perfunctory search of the archives
first.  But most of what I have won't be there.  I've got half a
dozen photos (so far) that I'll post asking "What the heck is this
and what do I do with it?"

I'm not sure what possessed me to join up with this cast of
characters.  Perhaps it was too much Appleton Estate VX (sorry Rummy,
I prefer it to the Eclipse)...  In any case, I'm in now, so might as
well make the best of it!

Cheers!

John Lock  (Confused, but not LOST!)

?????? - '79 Rhodes 22